- 3 to Boneless Chicken Breasts or 2 or more cups of rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup Carrots, thinkly sliced into half moons (optional if you’re watching carbs)
- 1 cup Celery, chopped
- 1 cup Onion, chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp Dried Thyme (more or less to taste)
- 2 tbsp All- Purpose Flour (for low carb you can sub other flours but this is so little I just used regular flour)
- 38 oz Low Sodium Chicken Broth (if boiling – use leftover broth from that)
- 12 oz Fresh or Frozen Broccoli Florets (I tend to use more cause I love it)
- 1 Cup Corn (optional)
- 1 tbsp Fresh Chopped Parsley (optional)
- 8 oz. Cream Cheese
- 1-1/2 cup Fresh Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese, plus more for serving
Cooking the Chicken (skip if using rotisserie):
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat with non-stick spray
- Place chicken breasts in pan and season with salt & pepper. Pour about 1/3 water in pan and cover it tightly with aluminum foil.
- ** If you would rather not use an oven or have excess dishes – I have boiled my chicken breasts before and that worked out fine as well – roasting gives a bit more flavor to chicken **
- Bake chicken (or boil) for 25 to 30 minutes, until cooked through.
- Prep veggies while chicken cooks.
- Once chicken is cooled slightly, cut on the bias into slices. Put the chicken back in the pan and mix them with the juices. Cover with the foil and set aside.
Make the soup:
- In a large soup pot, heal oil over medium heat. Add carrots, celery, onion, garlic & some thyme. Cook until softened about 10 mins., stirring often.
- Sprinkle the flour over the cooked veggies and stir, cooking 2 or more minutes.
- Stir in the broth, broccoli, corn (optional) parsley, salt (to taste), pepper (to taste), and chicken (with remaining juices).
- Turn up heat and bring to a light boil. Lower heat and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Place the cream cheese in a small bowl and add hot broth at ladel at a time and stir until the cream cheese is melted, smooth and creamy – add more broth as needed.
- Stir the cheese mixture into the soup. Let simmer on low if needed to keep warm. Season more to taste.
- Serve with shredded cheddar on top and Enjoy!!
Inspired by: Cinnamon-Spice & Everything Nice